Sacred Reviews is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more ›
A Graphics card is also known as a video card that renders display images for computers, laptops, and other devices. Modern GPUs are very complex and powerful pieces of silicon. They contain multiple processors that run in parallel, dedicated RAM, and even more advanced architectures and designs with the latest GPU chipsets.
If you want to play a video game that requires high performance, it is best to choose a graphics card according to what kind of games you will play. Most games require 2-3 GB of VRAM and a fast processor. Do you know How to Find What Graphics Card You Have and how much VRAM your GPU has?
However, not all games can make the best use of every GPU on the market, so it is extremely important to research before buying a new graphics card. The most important thing you need to consider before buying a video card is their memory size and speed.
Quick Tip: Extensive gaming and some other reasons can reduce the lifespan of the graphics card dramatically.
Some laptops and computers come with a built-in graphics card, which is also known as integrated graphics. Built-in graphics cards are generally weaker and slower than normal video cards, consuming much less power.
Before buying a new graphics card, you should first check which GPU you already have so you can buy the correct one and not waste your money.
How to Find What Graphics Card You Have in Windows 10
Following are some steps that you can use to find out what graphics card you have. Just follow the steps given below and see how much you are capable of, to find out what GPU you have.
Find GPU using Device Manager
- Step 1: Click on the Windows icon in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen and click on device manager.
- Step 2: Sometimes, it does not show the device manager, so you have to search and open it.
- Step 3: Click on Display Adaptors and check which graphics card you have; there will be a description in the window saying your graphics card.
- Step 4: In Device Manager, find Display Adapters and click on it to expand its menu. It will show you a list of GPUs that are installed on your computer.
- Step 5: Now you can see your graphics card name, and there will be the description below that, which will tell you exactly what video card it is.
Above are methods you can use to find GPU by using device manager, and you will be able to get your graphics card name quickly. There are also some other ways to find out about GPUs. Let’s start with the second method.
Find GPU Using App Settings:
- Step 1: Click on the Windows icon in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen and click on the setting gear icon.
- Step 2: Open system settings
- Step 3: Now click on the display
- Step 4: Now scroll down, and under the “Multiple displays” section, there will be an option of Advanced display settings. Click and open it.
- Step 5: After opening that, there will be a “Display information” option. You can see the graphics card vendor and model from there.
So these are the steps to find out the GPU by using display settings.
Find Out Graphics Card Details Using Directx
Directx is a software tool created by Microsoft corporation for windows that help applications access graphics cards. It also manages the hardware acceleration used to speed up video games and some other technologies.
If you want to see more DirectX information than just GPU capabilities, follow making changes in DirectX settings so you can see many things such as DirectX version, device memory, driver details, etc.
DirectX is an essential tool that should continually be updated if needed or missed while updating or installing new updates of Windows 10 OS. Still, it can give a lot of information about your computer hardware, including a Graphics Card.
So let’s start with the steps I have given below:
- Step 1: Click on the Windows icon in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen
- Step 2: You have to search dxdiag and click the top result to open the tool.
- Step 3: Now click on the display settings tab to check your GPU, and there will be a message saying “GPU Settings”
That’s it also there will be an option to save all information that you can use. Using DirectX to find video cards is one of the best ways for beginners who do not know how to find out GPU using device manager.
The 3rd method is a very simple and easy way to find your graphics card model. Now let’s move to some faqs that most people ask.
What Is a Graphics Card and What Does It Do?
A GPU or graphics processing unit is an essential part of your computer for playing games and other graphics-intensive programs. The GPU helps your computer process graphics, making it so much easier to play video games and watch movies. It processes all the information you see on your screen and turns it into something usable for your eyes.
What is a Graphics Card Manufacturer?
A Graphics card manufacturer is also called a video card vendor, which makes graphics cards that can be installed into computers to help run the display of programs, applications, and games. The most popular and well-known graphics card manufacturers are NVIDIA, AMD and ATI, and so on.
Why is it important to know what kind of graphics card you have?
Suppose you are building a PC, then it is essential to know what kind of graphics card you have on your computer. Suppose you already have some application that uses GPU or thinks about getting a new one.
In that case, it’s also important because many modern games or other applications require more than average GPU capabilities, so if your Graphics Card has less power than the requirement, then you will get poor performance from the app. To know the proper hardware, you need to know precisely what kind of graphics card you have.
So these are the methods that I have given here that may help a beginner find out his/her Graphics Card and if it did not work for you, then let me know in the comment section below. I will reply as soon as possible.